I just got back from playing in the sprinklers on the intramural fields. Hoke, Laura, and I were driving to the motorpool to pick up vans (to drive the kids around in because it is way too hot to be walking around outside), when I noticed the sprinklers on. The first thing that came to my mind was running out there in all my clothes in order to cool off. So I suggested it. Laura had this look on her face like, "Hmm, that sure is crazy, but it might be fun." Hoke seemed completely against the whole thing. I really wanted to do it, but I knew that I wasn't going to do it without at least one of them.
So, turns out that we all went out there. Three of us... big rusty college kids, playing in automatic sprinklers in all of our clothes.
It made me think... is it okay for me to still be doing stuff like that? I mean, I am about to be a grown up. I am buying a house. I have a real job. Is it okay for me to still be that crazy and spontaneous? I feel like with growing up, you have to lose that childish side of yourself. I mean, in all seriousness, I don't think that I'm much of an adult... except in years. I still watch Nickelodeon, I don't make my bed everyday, I would much rather be out in the street than sititng at home, the background on my computer is from the forthcoming Harry Potter movie. How many 4th grade teachers are out there that are like me?
I feel like because of my job and new financial responsibilities, a certain amount of sophistication is required. I mean, that's how I FEEL. Does that mean that I am going to change a lot about me? Heck no. As far as I'm concerned, I can be me and be an exciting and effective teacher. Seriously, my spontinaity and active lifestyle should have no bearing on my career. I feel like Kalani is someone who can definitely juggle the awesome responsibility of being a self sufficient educator and an incredibly fun and outgoing young adult. I have always respected that about her and secretly hoped that I could come to that level of sophistication myself. It seems as if it makes her even more sophisticated in a way...
At any rate, playing in the sprinklers was fun... and even if I am not going to dramatically change and become a boring old fart once camp is over, it served as a good "final" act of spontinaity.
Wednesday, July 27, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Hamilton, I think it's GREAT that you feel comfortable running around in the sprinklers! It sounds like fun! Everyone should always have a little child in them, and I think it's great that you do, because you will be a great 4th grade teacher because of it!
Post a Comment