Friday, April 29, 2005

in the clouds

Today waws field day at Code. I had a great time even though I was very unwise and went out last night and only got an hour and a half of sleep. It was great. It was also my first day back at Code since Tuesday. I have been visiting other schools and observing and getting ideas in preparation for my own class in the fall.

Well, one of the most special things that I did today was not a field day event or activity. While we were waiting in line, 2 of my students and I started picking out shapes in the clouds. It was so random, and so figurative. One student was David, who is usually a little bit of a behavior problem, but he really looks up to me a lot. The other one was Melissa, who can also be a behavior problem, but usually because she is so intelligent and bossy. The 3 of us stood staring at shapes in the sky, completely unaware of the event the rest of the class was doing. It was peaceful and very humbling... to know that these 2 students could take time out to look up at the sky and enjoy the simplicity of the shapes of clouds.

How many times do we ever do that? How many times to grown ups stop to look at the simple things in life? The shapes in the sky, the green of the grass, the breeze in the air... all the good things that we take for granted so much.

It just made me wonder... and it made me appreciate the two of them. Even though they have their moments where they can be a little overwhelming, even they can take the time out to realize that fascination can be found in what seems so insignificant.

No comments: