Well... this time last week, I was at home in Greenville preparing to go to the Greenville County Schools job fair. I had no clue that just a week later, I would pretty much have a whole new plan for my life.
The whole point of going to that job fair was NOT to actually get a job (neither was it the point of going to the picnic that was last Thursday evening). I only went to wet my feet... see what the job market was like... practice interviewing... Well, needless to say, I got my feet soaking wet, came home from the job market with something, and apparently didn't need help interviewing. Last Thursday night, I got a job offer from the principal of Cherrydale Elementary School. She interviewed me at the picnic, which was not at all the norm. She told me to come over and look at the school in the morning and then tell her whether or not I would accept the job.
Well... the next morning, I toured what was probably the most technologcally advanced elementary school in the district. It was brand new, had LCD projectors and DVD players in every room, and a state of the art computer lab. Well, I was impressed to say the least. So impressed that later that day, the day of the REAL interviews, I accepted a letter of intent from Cherrydale. I did this before my interviews, and also before truly researching Cherrydale.
Well, I interviewed with Oakview, Bethel, and East North Street Academy. The interviews went well... but I was pretty careless seeing how I already had a job. But, it was in that last interview--with East North Street Academy--that I was offered ANOTHER job. I really didn't know what to do. All I knew about East North Street was that it was in a fairly new building itself, and was a magnet school in downtown Greenville. I was interested though.
So, Icame back to Clemson highly confused. I wondered if I had done the right thing by choosing Cherrydale and if East North Street was better or worse. Well, I went to the school websites and found the school report cards. It turns out that Cherrydale's PACT scores were not very good. 49.6% of the school was below basic in math, and 41.7% was below basic in ELA. Plus, there were no advanced students in ELA, and only 0.7% of the students were advanced in math. This was not promising for me, a first year teacher. East North Street on the other hand was 13.5% advanced in math and 4.4% advanced in ELA. Only 20.4% were below basic in math and 24.7% in ELA. This was exciting because I really wanted to be at school similar to the school where I am student teaching: Code. Code's report card was 11.3% advanced in math, 22% below basic, 2.3% advanced in ELA, 20.3% below basic. The schools were very similar, and I immediately felt that I had made the wrong decision.
So, Monday, aware that not only would I have to rescind my acceptance of the job at Cherrydale, but I would also have to tell Missy I was not going to live with her and Dr. Spede that I would no longer be going to grad school, I went to visit East North Street. I loved it. I simply fell in love with the facilities, kids, faculty... everything. So, I had to call the principal of Cherrydale and say thanks but no thanks in order to accept at East North Street. I did. It was rough. But I am so glad I did.
Then, I returned to Code the next day with the news that I had been hired at East North Street. I was told by numerous teachers that someone from the Oconee County District Office had called Code to talk to me. Well, they were just a little too late. They were still late when Rev. Sloan came to Code and told me that he had a contract for me somewhere in the district, but not at Kellett or Code. Well, I was pretty sure that I was ONLY interested in Code. So, I told him no, and that I didn't want to be percieved as the "runaway teacher" as Christy and Jennifer had already started calling me. So, I thought that was it...
...Until I got a phone call after school today which beckoned me to a meeting at the district office. When I got there, there were about 8 principals sitting around a table, one of them the principal of Kellett, who was offering me a job. She, the other principals, and the director of HR tried to talk me into Oconee for about 45 minutes... they did everything from talk about how technologically advanced Kellett was to offer me a $500 signing bonus. They even handed me a contract... which is ironic because I told Rev. Sloan that Oconee dragged their feet and they missed out... so they were trying to make up for that by handing me a contract on the spot...
So, that is where I stand now. I have a job... a contract to sign for it on Tuesday afternoon in Greenville, and a contract for a 4th grade math job at Kellett sitting on my dresser. It's nice to be wanted... but a little frustrating.
And on top of that, a college student from Clemson called me Mr. Parks today. It made me feel old. Ugh.
Thursday, April 14, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment