Monday, May 10, 2004

how much i f-ing hate the lack of technology in my house

Greetings... from the floor of my dad's study in my house. Normally, I would be addressing you from about 12 feet back and to the right of me at his desk (without the fabulous sounds of The Emperor's New Groove), but tonight I am on MY computer in the middle of the floor. Let me explain to you how ridiculously dumb this house and its internet connection is...

First of all, my parents went and decided to get a new computer while I was at school this year. Yay for them. With the new computer, they called themselves getting technologically savvy by getting Charter High-Speed Cable. I just want to say, "fuck you, Charter and I hope you burn in Hell." Have y'all seen the cell phone commercial where people are talking on their cell phones and all of a sudden their phones fly out of their hands... it is a simulation of calls getting "dropped." I want to say that it is for Alltel which I find ironic, 'cause that service is less than adequate too. Anyway, this commercial pretty much describes internet service with Charter. I'll be on the computer and all of a sudden, "do ding: INTERNET SERVICE INTERRUPTED." This happened VERY frequently. Ugh. It was so annoying. I thought that was gonna be done with last week when the Charter guy came to assess the problem. This dude looked like someone who went to a school like Eastside, HAD been cool, but never did a damn thing with his life so he was diminished to servicing people's cable. He didn't do a fucking thing to our cable except mess it up even more. The internet kept shutting off and to make matters worse, the cable in my room started acting up.

So, tonight all that rubbish ended... and even more horrific things started. My wonderful teenage brother, the illustrious drum major of the oh so exquisite Eastside High School Marching Band, tells me at dinner that the internet is messing up and if I know what is wrong with it. I said that during the day I saw some weird windows that I couldn't understand, but for the most part things seemed to be working fine. Well, after dinner, he hops back on the computer and I go to my room to read some Harry Potter. Later, I come here into the study (in the EXACT spot that I am lying on the floor right now, ironically) watching The Swan, and Donovan goes, "The internet doesn't work anymore." I just ignored him pretty much. I knew that the internet liked to shut off, so I didn't think much of it. Until I got on the computer and noticed that EVERYTHING on the computer had been wiped out. ALL of our personal settings, had been removed and it was like the computer lost everything that was on it pretty much... well, I come to find out that it did. Nothing is on that computer anymore... and no, the internet SERIOUSLY doesn't work.

This frustrated me to no end... for a few reasons.

1. What do you do without internet?
2. I needed to get directions to Broome High School for tomorrow that were e-mailed to me.
3. I was MOST DEFINITELY going to have to blog about the situation.
4. I really needed to take care of Tree #3.

So, I decided to do what I did last summer when I was at home and we were having computer problems. I took the modem from the study into my room and hooked it up to my computer... but alas! Since my cable was screwed up by graduate number 250 of 250 from the EHS class of 2000, it didn't work...

SO... THAT is what brings me to the floor of the study typing away lying on my stomach getting severe rug burns on my elbows.

I hate being at home. I'm ready to go back to Clemson... if only for a little bit of convenient internet access.

No comments: