So, today, the weirdest, yet most exciting thing happened. I was at Kellett tutoring with the afterschoolers and this man comes into the school. Kathy walks up to me and introduces me to him. I can't remember his name now (lol), but he is from the Seneca River Baptist Association... some organization of churches... they have "insert name" River Baptist Associations all over the state... Anyway, he came up to me asking if I would be interested in helping with the SRBA Youth Orchestra. I was completely taken aback. I told him I didn't know how much help I could be, but I would do what I could. He told me that the first week of April, I would be teaching a group of about 10 to 15 band students 2 pieces of my choice to perform at the closing ceremony on the Friday of that week. Then I got excited... 10-15 kids... music of MY choice... and then there was also the $75 that he said but I just forgot to mention... SO HECK YEAH! I'm stoked now! He then asked if I knew where the Seneca River Family Life Center was. I told him that I had been there before when my dad pastored a church up around here... then he asked who my dad was and was shocked that he didn't put the two names together. My dad will actually be teaching that same week I am teaching up there! So woah... me and my dad BOTH doing grown up things in the same arena... WEIRD. But...
...EXCITING! I then called home to tell my dad. I really hope he didn't take offense to it, but I told him that I had scored this gig with no help from him. My dad is always telling me that people know who I am and have high expectations of me because of him... He's not being conceited... but I mean, he is a very prominent figure in Greenville. Usually, people see my last name and the fact that I LOOK like him and immediately make me out to be the perfect image of PKism (Preacher's Kid-ism). However, anyone who reads this is bound to know that I am far from flawless... But, it was refreshing to see that my reputation had preceeded me with this guy. He heard about me from Kathy, who told him I was a tutor and a drum major of Tiger Band.
So, I am making a name for myself... and it's uberexciting (the uber- prefix is the new catch phrase of the week... Nick and Missy had to explain it to me... Nick uses it very liberally). What is more uberexciting is that I get to try my hand at directing my own little band! w00t!
I am sure that it will be TONS more thrilling than this ridiculous PE that I have been slaving over this week... Just about 36 hours left!!!
Wednesday, March 10, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment