Thursday, February 26, 2004

the burning of the ridge

As September 11, 2001 lives on in the lives of Americans, February 25, 2004 will live on in the lives of Clemson students. University Ridge is burning to the ground as I type. It was the closest off campus apartment complex to the campus, and was hardly like an off campus apartment at all. It might as well have been on campus. The landscape of our campus will definitely be different without it there. I never went there, just heard about how cool it was and all the cool parties people had there. The only connection that I have to it is 3 friends that already signed a lease to live there next year. So I WAS going to have a little bit of history with The Ridge, but not anymore.

Well, it was shocking news for everyone. The ironic part is that I left a speech in Tillman (which is right across the street from The Ridge) at 9:30 and fire trucks and police cars were speeding there, but there was no visible action going on. I went to my staff meeting at 10 and all the way up to 11 we heard sirens and stuff. Well, right at 11 when we got done, this girl came in to tell us the news. The Ridge was on fire, and not only was it on fire, but it was burning to the ground. Laura, one of the girls who was planning on living there next year, laid down on the ground kind of in disbelief. Angie and I went out into the lobby and started talking to Jessica who was working the desk. Jessica told us all the latest news. Then Angie and I decided to walk down to Bowman Field and watch the chaos.

I could not believe the flames and all the smoke. It was like something I had never seen. As soon as the entire building came into view and I realized the caliber of the tragedy, my heart sank. I couldn't believe how something that had just been there an hour and a half before was up in flames and burning down to the ground. I couldn't believe how the people that lived there lost EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING. College kids, like me... who hardly have anything at all anyway. Gone. All gone.

The scene on the field was just as breathtaking. At least 1,000 Clemson students were out on the field watching. At around 11:30 on a Wednesday evening, almost the entire population of the campus was out on that field to watch the changing of the Clemson landscape. Strangely enough, and sadly enough, it made me feel like part of the Clemson community. I guess you really don't appreciate something until something horrible happens.

With all the sh*t... and I do emphatically mean ALL THE SH*T... going on, it's time to wake up and get serious. I hate doing this, but I'm going to... we need to get over our petty "boyfriend-girlfriend-fraternity-sorority-gossip-backstabbing-who's hot-who's not-get drunk and screw-party time-live it up" frame of mind and realize that in the grand scheme of things there is a life to be lived, things to be gained, and obviously lost. There is too much in life to worry about the small stuff. For example, fraternity drama is small stuff. Losing everything you have in a fire is big stuff.

Okay, I'm gonna stop... before I climb too far up on my soap box and can't get down. Friends and readers... enjoy life and cherish EVERYTHING. But DO NOT sweat the small stuff.

GOD BLESS THE RESIDENTS OF THE RIDGE.

No comments: